Choosing a Signer Threshold
More information about Signer Counts and Signer Thresholds so you can choose the best configuration for your squad.
The Signer Threshold is the number of Squad members that must sign off before a transaction is pushed on-chain.
A lower signer threshold maximizes the speed of decision-making, while a higher signer threshold maximizes security.
Independent of Squad size, we recommend a signer threshold of at least 2 and at maximum 5.
There are a couple of edge cases we recommend avoiding due to issues such as potentially losing your funds, low security, and/or slow decision-making.
- Signer Threshold equal to the Signer Count, ie. 3/3: Every Squad member will need to approve any transaction change, so if even one member loses their account or gets hacked, your funds risk getting stuck in the Squad.
- Signer Threshold lower than our recommended minimum of 2, ie. 1/5: transaction approvals will be in the hands of very few people, so ensure that you trust everyone in your Squad if you choose this option and that everyone has healthy wallet security practices.
- Signer Threshold is higher than our recommended maximum of 5 people. Regardless of your Squad size, having more than 5 people sign off on every transaction may significantly reduce the speed in which your Squad can execute transactions.
Here's how to modify the signer threshold of your Squad:
- 1.Navigate to the "Members" tab of your Squad
- 2.Press the "..." button, located next to "Manage"
- 3.Select "Modify Signer Threshold"
- 4.Stay with the recommended signer threshold, or enter a custom amount in the "Custom signer threshold" field
- 5.Review everything to ensure it looks correct, then click "Propose"
- 6.Sign a one-time key
- 7.This creates a proposal for your Squad to execute (more on proposals here). Once your Squad members have approved the proposal, your signer count will be successfully modified.